10 Fascinating Reasons to visit Simhastha once in your Lifetime!23 May, 2016
“ It is wonderful, the power of faith like that, that can make multitudes and multitudes of the old and weak and the young and frail enter without hesitation and complaint upon such incredible journeys and endure the resultant miseries without repining. It is done in fear or done in pain; I do not know which it is. No matter what the impulse is, the act born of it is beyond imagination, marvelous to our kind of people, the cold whites.” – Mark Twain in 1895, after being to Kumbha Mela!
The above written quote is a proof of the intensity and enchantment of the effect Simhastha in Ujjain could have on anyone. Like a natural sedative, engulfing one in its aura. Making one oscillate between tacks of pain and joys of pleasure and ecstasy. This is the power of Simhastha. It could take one’s mind, body and soul to the realms of devotion and make them taste spirituality.
And for these reasons, it is a must to visit this Mela once in your lifetime! And, if you are still not eager then here are Ten reasons for you that will make you consider visiting Kumbha Mela!
- Are you considering a place for yourself in heaven? And worried that the amount of your sins are piling up, greater than your pious deeds? Well then, mister, Simhastha is your place. Wash off your sins with shahi snans (royal bath) at the ghats of Kshipra and secure a place with Devas in Swarga (heaven). It is said the snans, corresponding with alignments of heavenly bodies, can clear your records of sins and help you attain Moksha.
- Could not attain this year? Then you can visit it in Prayag We, Indians, have always been good with mathematics.You see, the cycles of Kumbha Mela were decided to happen in the multiples of 3. That is, Kumbha Mela happens in every 3 years, ardha (half ) Kumbha mela happens in every 6 years and purna (complete) cycle in every 12 years.The maths nerds will love it.
- Kumbha Mela is one big potpourri of cultures and traditions. One will find people from all walks of life, from every corner of India spending time together. It is not everyday that you can chill with weed puffing naga sadhus in After all, it is Shiv Ji’s prasad.
- The place is a haven for artists and photographers. One would find it difficult to keep track of time when their senses are constantly bombarded with imagery of handmade kutiya (huts) and grand and intricately decorated castles of plywood, scents of agarbatti (incense) sticks and mouth watering delights of local dishes of khichdi (dish prepared by lentils and rice), laddoos, poha and what not.
- Shashi snan is an investment for the retirement of your mind and soul. You see, one shahi snan in Kumbha Mela is almost equal to thousands of snans and teertha (pilgrim) yatra. So, trade your time for one snan and enjoy the returns later in life. This one’s for traders and investors.
- It’s super affordable. You don’t need to worry much about your bank balance. Go frugal.
- For history geeks, you can get real time experience of coming closest to ancient and historical traditions of our culture.
- Kumbha Mela is synced with the positions of celestial bodies in relevance to constellations they are positioned in. So, astrological fans must visit Kumbh Mela.
- Kumbha Mela has a great deal of benefits for science lovers too (especially astrophysics) .You know, the alignment of planets in the particular order (Jupiter in constellation Leo and Sun in Aries) has effects on electro-magnetic field of Earth, which in turn has effects on our environment (water, air, land and even living beings). So, all the mantra chanting and dips has physiological and psychological benefits too!
- And, last but not the least, visit M.P. for fun! Take a break from your oh-so-busy life and go and enjoy the spectacle of colours, people, food , scenery. There’s so much to experience that, believe us , we could never explain in words!